Wednesday, August 3, 2011

the meaning of respect



It amazes me to see how our Muslim friends could abstain themselves from food and water for the whole day. I mean the challenges are there - the heat, the smell of food, the smell of nicotine (for smokers of course) ... it is superly hard work to ignore all temptations, at least for me.

I tried fasting, well to be precise, abstaining from food since I do take water, for the second day today, and it is such a struggle. Honestly, it brings a whole new level of respect to our fasting friends.

The best part was that I had the privilege to break fast with my Muslims friends, thanks to Promenade Hotel for the great Buka Puasa buffet dinner. Not that I have never joined them during such functions, this time it is extra memorable since I half-fasted. It was so much fun, waiting for the azan and to see them pray before taking the meals. I did my prayers too, according to my beliefs and religion. Traditionally, they'll start with kurma (dates) and I did just that, followed by a sip of water or syrup, which ever fancies you, but I must admit, it was a heavenly feeling.

This is a whole new experience for me too, I realise that it makes us to appreciate food and drinks more, it makes us realise that we can control our minds to refrain from doing things, self-control. It brings truth to the saying "it's all in the mind".

Well, it is entering the third day of Ramadhan. I've tried abstaining food for two days now, may be slowly I will join Muslims to abstain both food and drinks ... SLOWLY. A friend of mine told me that "just think it as your diet,", may be I should take his words and tune my mind to do just that.

So, to all my Muslim friends, happy Ramadhan. Kudos for your strong will to rejecting all temptations. Thanks for this valuable lesson.

No comments:

thanks for your time ...

my mother once told me i was named by my uncle. when i was in my primary years, i remember begging my name be changed
to 'Cindy' (after Cindy Lauper - i don't know, somehow "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was just too good to be ignored...geez),
anyways, thank God she didn't, because today, i so love my name.
thanks mummy and daddy for 'creating' me :-).