Monday, February 14, 2011

when love comes into question

It's Monday but it is not any ordinary Monday, it's Monday the 14, February 14, Valentine's Day.

The past few days, there have been lots of critics about Valentine's Day, how some people associated it with vice activities, out of wedlock pregnancies, a day to commit sins, Christianity??? It is a secular observance, not a religious festival. It got me thinking though ... sin is committed every second of the day, there are a lot of vice going on out there, why restrict it to Valentine's Day? Why blame Valentine's Day?

Truly, I believe people who criticised Valentine's Day do not understand what the day is all about. It is a celebration of love. I am not saying that we do not celebrate love on any other day, but this is another special day where couples - husband and wife; boyfriend and girlfriend; parents and children - do that extra special thing to show ones love.

May be there are some quarters who took advantage of the day by making money out of it, but hey, they're smart enough to gain that extra cash. It is one day where women would not complain about getting chocolates because it's fattening, it's one day where women would be thrilled to see bouquet of flowers on her table as she walks into the office, well, we all love surprises ... I can't say the same for men though. I hear my male friends complaining the amount they have to spend for their Valentine, but they splurge anyway, because deep down inside, they love to see the twinkle in their partner's eyes.

So for those who took that extra effort to make the day special for you and your Valentine, I congratulate you. You let no one influence you, besides, we're supposed to spread love, not war!

Peace and have a wonderful Valentine's Day.

No comments:

thanks for your time ...

my mother once told me i was named by my uncle. when i was in my primary years, i remember begging my name be changed
to 'Cindy' (after Cindy Lauper - i don't know, somehow "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was just too good to be ignored...geez),
anyways, thank God she didn't, because today, i so love my name.
thanks mummy and daddy for 'creating' me :-).